Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Episode 32 - Sockdown!



On the Needles

-Socks for Sarah
-One sock done, second sock will be finished tonight.

-New Slippers
-Fiber Trends Felt Clogs
-Cascade 220 in 7811 (purple jewel heather) for the foot color and 2445 (green heather) for the cuff and sole

-Glynis from Sock Innovation by Cookie A.
-using Wollmeise 100% in Die Auster and my Signature DPNs 2.75 mm

-Trekking Work socks
-Trekking XXL in color 100
-US 1 (2.25 mm)

FO of the Week
-Kitri by Lisa Grossman (Tsock Tsarina)
-Kit available from Holiday Yarns
-US 1 (2.25 mm) for sock
-US 2 (2.75 mm) for cuff
-I changed the heel from a short-row heel to a slipped-stitch heelflap.

3 comments:

  1. Carin

    Congrats on finishing your mom's socks. They are beautiful, you did a great job.

    Onward!

    sm

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the show! :)
    really really want to hear your review of the Signature Needles! i've been pining for a set of their DPNs for ages but man are they pricey! i'm curious to know how you decided which size to get? i typically use size 2.25mm for socks, but you seem to use all different sizes...how do you decide which size needle for which pattern/yarn?
    cheers,
    michael

    ReplyDelete
  3. michael,
    I've found over the few years I've been knitting socks that the sizes that fit me best are 72 stitches knit on US 1 (2.25 mm) or 64 stitches knit on US 2 (2.75 mm). I will use other sizes if needed, but those are my two "go-to" sizes. Also if the yarn is thinner, I use a smaller size needle. STR lightweight, for instance, is almost bullet-proof for me when knit on size ones. So I prefer to knit that on twos. But my workhorse yarns (Trekking, Online, Opal, Regia) tend to be thinner and need to be knit on smaller needles, but they aren't nearly as thick as the STR would be.

    ReplyDelete